Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Addiction

"Gravity" by Sara Bareilles

This song holds a special place in my heart. While I believe the song is actually about an unhealthy relationship, So You Think You Can Dance choreographer Mia Michaels took a different spin on the lyrics. Still one of my favorite dances, and one that brings me instantly to tears. she choreographed "Addiction" to this song. So many people in my family suffer with addiction every day, including my biological mother, multiple cousins, and my sister. Whether it's alcohol, heroin, pills.... it's all terrible and it consumes their life. And I find it interesting that these lyrics can so easily represent addiction as well as a dysfunctional relationship. In a way they're one in the same. The way the dance portrays the disease is right on the money. Thankfully I don't suffer from an addictive personality myself, but I imagine it is as though you have a puppet master controlling your actions, holding you down against your will. So, instead of the full song, I chose to upload the dance instead. Maybe it will help give some perspective as to why addicts can't "just stop" and have such a hard time doing so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment